THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, July 20, 2009

"On The Rise Again"

For quite some time now, the city of Detroit, Michigan has developed a disgraceful reputation. It's been considered not only one of the most unprofessional cities, but also the most violent, the city with one of the highest illiteracy rates, and the home of one of the most frowned upon school systems in the nation. How did it ever come to all this? How did a city that was once on the rise day by day develop as one of the most all-time low cities in the United States? Who is to blame? Truthfully, we can only blame ourselves for letting things get this way.

As I walk around, I tend to see everything that I don't want to become. Some say that children are a product of their environment. If that's the case, then I along with thousands of other young men and women must be from other cities and even countries. My first step into becoming a DPS (Detroit Public School) student was high school and it was my first step into the real world of my city. Yes, it was almost a huge culture shock for me and I saw and experienced things that I would have never known went on in the minds and lifestyles of young men and women of my age. However, it was here that I got a revelation that my generation has some talented individuals that I know will take this city back to where it needs to be.

As a high school student, I was apart of one of the highest rated orchestras in the country. We scored high in all categories at competitions, and performed literally all across the globe. It wasn't until the end of my senior year that I realized just why Detroit is known for some of the most talented people in the world. At the end of each year, all of the DPS high schools would come together and put on a musical performance at the Fox Theater in Downtown Detroit. To say that the talent in that house was phenomenal would be an understatement. As I think back on how much talent rocked that place those nights, I realize that Detroit still has a chance to come back.

About a week ago, I had the privilege of meeting a young man who still believes in Detroit as much as I do. He is the author of an upcoming magazine called La Famiglia. Not only does it give local Detroit artist the chance to shine in music, but it shines light on the graphic artists that otherwise would not be heard of. I was astonished at the graphic art and music that were at the magazine release party, and I could not believe that all this talent came from the city of Detroit- my own hometown. I couldn't help but be proud of my city. Not only did those performance nights during high school remind me why Detroit is still the home of great music, but the night of La Famiglia's event confirmed it once again. It is through the people that still believe in this city that real talent can shine in this city. I truly believe that like our orchestra, magazines, and other venues that help encourage our talented people of Detroit, the Motor City will once again rise to the occassion like it was meant to do.

1 comments:

Covnitkepr1 said...

I'd like to invite you to visit and follow my blog.
Also if you put a follower wedget up...I'd gladly follow.